October 9, 2017 Board Meeting

FAHA Board Meeting

October 9, 2017

The meeting was called to order by Jeff Miller at 7:15 pm.omeownersHhH  Our guest, Mark Owen (taxiway B), was introduced to the board.

 

Approval of previous minutes:

Minutes from the last board meeting on September 18th and the FAHA Annual Meeting and Picnic on October 1st had both been sent out to board members prior to tonight’s meeting. Drew Anderson questioned the statement condemning a drone operation over the runway shadowing a departing aircraft.  Jeff Miller stated the operation that was reported was inappropriate for safety reasons and inappropriate due to a lack of authorization from the airport operator – Rikki Birge.   Minutes were approved.

 

 Motion

Proposed by:       Drew Anderson

Seconded by:      John Tomlinson

Motion made:    To Approve the minutes of September 18 and October 1

Approved:             Yes

 

Treasurers report:

Janet Gundlach reported that most recent email to the general membership did not include pdf of John Tomlinson’s powerpoint presentation from the general meeting.  Too many homeowners are incapable of downloading a large file with their existing computers.  The most recent email to homeowners included the minutes of the general meeting and offered to send the presentation file to anyone interested in the report.

Janet Gundlach had sent out statements to all board members prior to tonight’s meeting.  Several checks went out recently to cover services from Oliveira, CPA and Hanis, Irvine, Prothero, Law Firm.  This has left the balance in the account at $27,981.78.

 

Motion

Proposed by:       John Tomlinson

Seconded by:      Drew Anderson

Motion made:    To approve the Treasurers Report

Approved:             Yes

 

John Tomlinson observed that we met all but one of the Objectives set out for 2017.  We were not able to “develop new draft articles of incorporation and bylaws” based on the slowness of CPA and lawyer responses.  A new set of Objectives for 2018 should be drafted for review and approval by our next board meeting.

John rediscovered passwords to the FAHA website and he and Andy Karmy will be reworking the FAHA website.  The website is Cresthomeowners.org .  Discussion followed regarding content of the web site. One suggestion, the Lawsuit information be available on the website to view.  Our homework before the next board meeting:  go to the website, recommend changes.

 

John suggested that we may want to consider raising the annual dues to $50, $60, or even $100 to be better prepared to meet legal consulting fees.  During the taxiway meetings, several home owners brought up the idea of building up a “war chest” to prepare for inevitable expenses. Drew Anderson objected to the term “war chest” (Dick suggested “Hope Chest”) and expressed concern toward mandating fees beyond our needs.  It was with general agreement that no such labels would be used when communicating with the membership. Keith Hendrickson suggested that we have the dues stay the same at $40 and add an “assessment” to the amount necessary to handle billing.

Our mandate is to be ready in 2018 with the necessary corporate structures.  After the corporate structure is in place, the unusual expenses in our budget should go down.  As background information, the first Lawsuit cost FAHA around $200,000 and the second one around $275,000 (Davis, Wright, Tremaine).  There’s no doubt that preparing Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws, CC&R’s, etc. will produce legal expenses but nothing near lawsuit expenses.  The board will have to revisit this subject prior to mailing of dues assessments at the beginning of January, 2018.

 

Andy Karmy asked about general communication with Pat Hanis (HIP Law Firm) wanting to make sure that we let the Lawyers know who they can communicate with in order to control expenses.  Jeff Miller assured him that this had come up previously and the expectation is to have one point of contact between professionals and the board.

 

Janet will also send out; 1) latest financial statement, 2) updated homeowner list,3) latest FAHA bylaws to all the board members.

 

To bring our new board members up to date with current board thinking:  It is expected to implement simplified CC&R’s that would tie member properties to FAHA in exchange for access to the airport and guarantee that the airport would exist in perpetuity.  The structure and linkage of FAHA with the airport is expected through a LLC.  John Tomlinson pointed out that the linkage of the airport and the HOA are the immediate priorities with our lawyer advisors.

 

Mark Owen volunteered to locate and send out several examples of airpark articles and bylaws to the board (including Desert Aire in Central Washington).  Janet Gundlach will send out copies of (2011) FAHA By-Laws to members of the board.

 

Old Business:  Drew Anderson had requested at the last board meeting that we create a business plan for the operation of the airport.  John Tomlinson and Doug Matuska volunteered to work with Drew to formulate the plan.  Jeff requested figures reflecting cost to home owners if there is no revenue from the airport businesses.  Jeff gave the committee an estimate he had for resealing the runway.

 

Field Trip suggestion:  Candice Harvey, from the Snohomish Airport, who is the owner and operator, would be a great person to talk with regarding airport ownership.

 

Sometime in the near future we will want to survey the homeowners for their opinions.  John Tomlinson recommends Survey Monkey which allows 10 survey questions for free.  The surveys need to be tightly focused toward two or three issues relevant to home owners and their expectations moving toward airport ownership.

 

The name of Crest Airport is scheduled to change on October 15th to “Norman Grier Field”.  Doug Matuska suggested we have a windsock custom made for Rikki with the new name printed on it.  There is a need for a new windsock and this would be a nice gesture from the board.  All members of the board agreed to contribute $15 each to get a windsock for Rikki as our gift to her.

 

Motion

Proposed by:       Robbi Broussard

Seconded by:      Keith Hendrickson

Motion made:    To Adjourn the meeting

Approved:             Yes


12 in Attendance at Broussard’s Home

Board Members present:

Jeff Miller (2012), President                            Telephone 253-639-1915

John Tomlinson (2013), VP

Robbi Broussard (2012), Secretary

Janet Gundlach (even year), Treasurer

Doug Matuska (2012)

Drew Anderson (2015)

Keith Hendrickson (2017)

Andy Karmy (2017)

Leone Tomlinson

Dick Broussard

Shawn Selander

Board Members Absent:

Molly Littlefield (2012)

Guests present:

Mark Owens

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Robbi Broussard

October 1, 2017 Homeowners’ Annual Meeting and Picnic

FAHA Homeowners’ Annual Meeting and Picnic

October 1, 2017

Eversole’s Hangar

The meeting was called to order by Jeff Miller at 4:25 PM.omeownersHhH  The main attraction of today’s meeting was to be a Power Point update by John Tomlinson (enclosed as an attachment).

 

Taxiway Meeting Highlights:  From first meeting on taxiway “A” it became apparent that homeowners want “equal ownership” model of airport ownership.  Taxiway “Delta” had 100% attendance in their meeting and telephone briefings were given to most members unable to attend.  Jeff thanked everyone for attending but included a special thank you for the hosts from each taxiway:  Verla Mellema,”A”;  Keith & Ginelle Hendrickson, ”B”; Bill & Diane Davis “C”;  Janet Gundlach, “D”; Doris Thompson, “E”, Bill & Katie Swickard, “F”; Jeff Miller, “G”; John & Leone Tomlinson, “H”; Dick & Robbi Broussard “I” Mike & Charlene McGahan, “J”; Drew Anderson & Shawn Selander “East”.  Meetings were overwhelmingly positive and shared numerous ideas and concerns going forward toward airport ownership.

 

Oliveira CPA:  Rick and Linda Oliveira in the past were accountants for the airport and they are currently accountants for FAHA regarding our annual income tax statements.  Two meetings took place this summer with the board.  Their recommendation, which the board agreed unanimously, is to own and operate the airport with the corporate form of a Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) submitting annual tax statements as a C-Corp.

 

HIP Lawyers (Hanis,Irvine,Prothero):  We have had one formal meeting with Pat Hanis (specialty in LLC and small business incorporation) and Greg Cromwell (specialty in HOA formation and governance).  The next communications will focus with Pat Hanis on developing articles of incorporation for an LLC that we can bring back to the membership for review and eventual approval.  Greg Cromwell’s piece will follow after we have at least a tentative shape to the incorporation that can own and operate the airport.

 

New Business:  Election of Board Members.  Jeff explained that having served a number of years on the board and other obligations, Jerry Paterson and D. Wysong will be retiring from the Board.  Bios of four candidates (2 new and 2 previously serving) had been sent out to all homeowners last week in an email:  John Tomlinson (current FAHA VP), Drew Anderson (current FAHA Board), Andy Karmy, and Keith Hendrickson.

 

Theresa White asked for a clarification of the need for 4 candidates when only two are leaving.  Answer; 2 going off, 2 staying for reelection, therefore 4 candidates.  She also wanted to know how homeowners could be informed when Board meetings would be held.  It was explained that although Board meetings are open to any who wish to attend, meetings are held in Board member homes so space is limited. Another concern of hers had to do with representation of homeowners on the Board.  “How do we voice our concerns?” The Board is hoping that the FAHA website will be a good future outlet for conversations between Board and homeowners but please call Jeff Miller or any board member for information.

Jeff Miller invited any additional names to be added to the slate from the floor.  Having no additional names from the floor:

 

Motion

Proposed by:       Eric Eversole

Seconded by:      Mike McGahan

Motion made:    To Close and Approve the slate of 4 Candidates

Approved:             Yes

 

Jeff Miller gave thanks to both Jerry Paterson and D. Wysong for many years of service on the FAHA Board.

 

Congratulations was given to Brad Hernke and Mary who are very newly married.

 

The meeting was handed over to John Tomlinson, who gave a Power Point Presentation on Airport Purchase.  Our focus is on two points: (1) to have enough financing to buy the airport and (2) to develop an organization capable of collecting funds and possessing the authority to execute the purchase.  John pointed out that all financial numbers are only estimates, since there are so many unknowns.

 

Norm Grier has passed away and many rumors have circulated regarding Rikki’s thoughts about selling the airport.  Rumors represent risks that should be considered in light of their probability of occurring and impact on a purchase. Although there has been much speculation on “what ifs”, we need to remember that the “Settlement” is our guiding document.  Our steps to purchase the airport are legally defined and we intend to comply with the timeline.  Whether the airport comes up for sale in 2025 or sometime sooner.

 

Theresa White asked if it might be advantageous to have an appraisal done now so we could have a better idea of the purchase price.  Answer:  Without income and expense data from Crest Airport, we couldn’t have an accurate determination of the value of the Airport. An appraisal is costly and of dubious value if it is years out of date at the time of airport purchase.

 

John pointed out the three main steps in the timeline.  If we choose not to exercise the purchase option when the airport is eventually offered, we lose our settlement rights to purchase at a later time.

 

The Board will be soliciting homeowner input regarding new/revised FAHA By-Laws (probably short focused email questionaires).

 

Eric Eversole requested that we give proper respect to Rikki and her work maintaining Crest Airport.  We enjoy a wonderful airport.

 

Please don’t drive on the taxiway, even though the east side roads have some issues.

 

On September 20th a drone was shadowing an airplane during take-off.  This is inappropriate, so please talk to any operators to express our safety concerns or call Rikki Birge or any Board member.

 

The meeting was adjourned to the buffet line.

 

Board Members present:

Jeff Miller (2012), President (tel. 253-639-1915)

John Tomlinson (2013), VP

Robbi Broussard (2012), Sect

Janet Gundlach (even year), Treas.

Doug Matuska    (2012)

Drew Anderson (2015)

Molly Littlefield (2012)

D  Wysong (2013)

Jerry Paterson (odd year)

General Members present:  95 adults with 12 to 14 kids to teenagers.  52 lots represented(45%of total).

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

Robbi Broussard